List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Download Dialog - immortal?!?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-06-19 13:35:44

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 16:11, Nils Holland wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> the following is a problem that has always been there since KDE 2 (still in
> the current CVS version), and it happens so often here that I wonder if no
> one has ever noticed it so far.
>
> Here's what happens: When I'm in konqueror and download some large file (say,
> 5 MB or more) then the dialog that shows the download's progress does not go
> away once the download is complete. With smaller files, it seems to work, but
> with big ones, it happens in about 70% of the cases that the dialog doesn't
> go away.
>
> Some information that might be of relevance: I'm using a proxy server (SQUID
> 2.4-STABLE1) that runs on one of my machines. The SQUID-machine has a 56k
> modem-connection to the Internet, and the other machines which do the actual
> downloads and encounter the above problem acess the SQUID proxy via my
> internal Ethernet. In other words: I don't know if the fact that a proxy
> server is being used triggers the problem or has any influence on it.
>
> As I am writing this eMail, the problem has just happened again when
> downloading the 8.7 MB large distribution tarball of binutils-2.11.1 from
> ftp.gwdg.de.
>
> What do you think? Am I the only SQUID-using KDE user that has noted this so
> far? Or is it common? I wouldn't say that it really has a bad influence on
> the usability of KDE, but I think that it's not really normal either, and if
> it's a KDE problem (and it seems so to me), it should probably be fixed
> sooner or later.

There are similar reports - this seems to be a bug in the FTP client, that never
receives the final command, or something like that.
It happened to me once, but not enough reproducible to really look into it.
Here's debug output I got from someone else for this problem :

8339 kio_ftp: resp> 226 File send OK.
8339 kio_ftp:
8334 kio (KIOJob): TransferJob::slotFinished(0x83cdf78, \
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/3/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/XFree86-jpfonts-2.0-12.noarch.rpm)
 8334 kio (KIOJob): FileCopyJob this=0x83ccb50 ::slotResult(0x83cdf78)
8334 kio (KIOJob): TransferJob::slotFinished(0x83cd620, \
file:/home/dfaure/.kpackage/XFree86-jpfonts-2.0-12.noarch.rpm) 8334 kio (KIOJob): \
FileCopyJob this=0x83ccb50 ::slotResult(0x83cd620) 8334 kio (KIOJob): FileCopyJob: \
m_putJob finished 1030 kio (UIServer): UIServer::jobFinished id=23
8339 kio_ftp: Got slave_status host = rpmfind.net [Connected]
8338 kio (kioslave): slavewrapper: Communication with app lost. Returning to slave \
pool. 8339 kio (kioslave): slavewrapper: Communication with app lost. Returning to \
slave pool. 8339 kio_ftp: Ftp::closeConnection()
8339 kio_ftp: quit
8339 kio_ftp: resp> 421 Timeout. Pay attention.
8339 kio_ftp:

The timeout here is very strange. I don't understand why the remote server
doesn't answer to the final quit immediately. Well, I assume the quit is immediate
and the timeout much later, but that's what I couldn't verify.

In short: please enable the debug area for kio_ftp and try to see what's happening.

--
Per his initials, God was simply a "Great Oop Developer" (Richard Bos)