List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: My statement about the latest flamewar ;-)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-19 6:52:50

On Monday 18 June 2001 08:45 pm, mosfet wrote:
> I'm back on mosfet.org and wrote out a quick statement about recent
> events concerning my code and KDE CVS. Hopefully this will help clear up
> any misconceptions, at least from my point of view. You can check it out
> at:
>
> http://www.mosfet.org

I would like to react to this by making some general marks first and then
some remarks with respect to Daniel in particular.

1) Being part of KDE means that you have to work together with others. Such
cooperation brings along advantages but it also brings along
responsibilities.

Some of those advantages are: your code ends up on all distro's, people might
fix your bugs, you get free translations and documentation, you get tons of
bugreports.

On the other side there are disadvantages and responsibilities: you will have
to communicate with other developers about your work, other people might make
changes to your code, you will have to respect release freezes, you get tons
of bugreports and people actually expect that you fix them as well (what are
they smoking?), people expect you to maintain your code.

You can't chose for the advantages and ignore the responsibilities that come
with it, it's a complete package, it's both or nothing.

2) In general it should be the author of a piece of software that chooses to
put his application in CVS. We usualy don't put software in KDE CVS unless
the author wishes to do so. The other way around, if the author prefers to
work on his application outside CVS then that's his right as well. Unless
there is a split in the actual group of people working on the application it
makes no sense to fork the development of an application because of that.

BUT...
by putting your code under and open source license and putting it in KDE CVS
you give the world at large, as well as KDE in particular, the irrevocable
right to use your code. And KDE will use that right at its discretion to
protect the interests of KDE, even if that goes against the wishes of the
author at that point in time.

To relate the above to the recent actions by Daniel (aka 'mosfet'). I don't
think that Daniel accepts the responsibilities that come with having code in
CVS and therefor I believe that it is better that from now on Daniel will
develop his code outside KDE CVS. In that light I have asked Daniel to remove
Pixie from CVS. Pixie is cleary primarily developed by Daniel and there is no
point in keeping a version of it in KDE CVS when all further development will
be done by Daniel outside KDE CVS. I haven't asked Daniel to remove any of
its other code because this code is clearly an integral part of KDE. Removing
it would harm the interest of KDE and its users. Removing such code can not
be allowed.

As a personal note to Daniel: We clearly have different opinions on a lot of
issues and I find your recent behaviour unacceptable but that doesn't mean I
hold any grudges to you. I am very thankfull for the effort that you have put
into KDE and I appreciate the work that you have done on the styles including
your latest liquid style. I have criticized the latter for lack of artistic
innovation but that doesn't mean that you haven't done a great job
implementing it. I also recognize that many great painters have started by
copying (t.i. repainting) the work of others in order to surpass it later. In
that respect I'm very hopefull for the future. I hope that by working outside
the boundaries of KDE CVS you will be better able to follow your artistic
inspiritation without me shouting at you for things like release freezes. I
sincerily think that that is a better solution for all parties involved. I
wish you success with your coding and wish you all the best.

Waldo Bastian

This message is Copyright 2001 by Waldo Bastian. All rights reserved.
This message may be freely copied and redestributed in whole alone.
The opinions expressed in this message are those of Waldo Bastian and
are not necasserily shared by either SuSE Inc. or other KDE developers.