List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE and Gcc 3.0
From:       Nils Holland <nils () nightcastleproductions ! org>
Date:       2001-06-18 20:26:18

On Monday 18 June 2001 20:37, Jesper Pedersen wrote:
> On Monday 18 June 2001 20:24, Nils Holland wrote:
> > On Monday 18 June 2001 19:56, Mathieu Chouinard wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Does anybody have compiled KDE 2.2alpha2 with GCC 3.0?
> > > Mathieu
> >
> > No, but as far as I am informed, GCC 3 is not able to properly compile
> > "real world code" like KDE at the moment. I wonder if the GCC 3 version
> > that will eventually be released will be able to do this. Originally, the
> > GCC folks wanted to get 3.0 out of the door in the first half of this
> > year, but from what I have heard from various people (and from what I
> > have read on their website in their release-criteria), I think they're
> > not quite there yet...
> >
> > Greetings
> > Nils
>
> GCC-3.0 was released today.

Ok. I don't see an announcement on http://gcc.gnu.org, but I believe you ;-).
Seems that it's time to put it on my test-machine, then. I think that it
should not yet be installed on my normal workstations. When one reads the
release-criteria on the GCC website, it seems as if GCC 3 should be able to
do exactly the same as 2.9.x, only better. Unluckily, since it does not
compile all of KDE correctly (and also has problems with other things, as I
have heard) this is not the case. So - who's responsible for making it
eventually work? Will we have to wait for a maintenance release from the GCC
3 branch, or will the KDE developers make their code work with GCC 3?

Greetings
Nils