* Nils Holland [Lundi 18 Juin 2001 02:24 pm ] : > On Monday 18 June 2001 19:56, Mathieu Chouinard wrote: > > Hi, > > Does anybody have compiled KDE 2.2alpha2 with GCC 3.0? > > Mathieu > > No, but as far as I am informed, GCC 3 is not able to properly compil= e > "real world code" like KDE at the moment. I wonder if the GCC 3 versi= on > that will eventually be released will be able to do this. Originally,= the > GCC folks wanted to get 3.0 out of the door in the first half of this > year, but from what I have heard from various people (and from what I > have read on their website in their release-criteria), I think they'r= e > not quite there yet... gcc 3.0 and especially g++ 3.0 is much better than 2.95 regarding the sta= ndards however there will be some problems porting existing apps to 3.0 I especially forsee one problem the c++ style headers vs c style header in 2.95 you could use both without problems because it was not following = the standards now you have to be careful if you have to choose one style and both using both if you want to use the c++ style #include // for example then you will have to use the namespace std:: otherwise this code won't compile cout << "Hello World!" << endl; the correct version is=20 std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl; Ok it is more verbose however namespace are a powerful, while simple conc= ept, which allows you=20 to write libraries and codes without thinking about naming conflicts now if you use the c style header #include you can have both notations[with std:: and without std::] but it means that you can mix up styles which is not good in general I tend to prefer the c++ style for correctness and consistency. there is = no excuse for=20 lazy code. moreover G++ 3.0 has a new inliner which operates at a earlier stage whic= h will allow better optimization for inline functions. I know some c++ techniques that= could really benefit from such a change, however I am not sure that it will improve tremendous= ly a GUI. regards C. --=20 | Christophe Prud'homme, http://augustine.mit.edu/~prudhomm | ICQ UIN: 24560867 Alias: Jesunix | | Travailler dur n'a jamais tu=E9 personne, mais pourquoi prendre le risq= ue ? | -- Edgar Bergen >> Visit http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<