List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: printing problems (again)
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-06-18 8:48:25

> snip..
> I have set the log level to debug
> somewhere at the end I see: job-name = "file:/" followed by an error message
> BTW I can produce a PS file and print it without problems.
> can it be that the file is removed prior of sending it to the printer - there
> was a discussion about this matter on the list.

This is possible, however the problem would occur before. When you send a job
to CUPS daemon, it makes a copy of the file locally (in queue directory), so
if the file is removed, the print job won't even start. If the job is started,
it implies the file has been successfully sent to cupsd and that a local copy
exists: so it is safe to remove the original file.

You still didn't tell me what application you're using to print the image. And
I probably would also need the PPD file of your printer. I suspect (but I'm
not sure) that this is a problem of mime types: the printer refuses the file
because it doesn't recognize the mime type received. This will only happen
with IPP-aware printers, as IPP is like HTTP, the mime type is attached to
the request sent to the printer.

> this printer uses ipp protocol
> DeviceURI ipp://et-color/ipp/port1
>
> the other one which works is a printqueue on a SCO  and uses this
> DeviceURI lpd://weisa.w.ftp.com/et_hp1

Does it mean that it doesn't work with the first printer, but is OK with the
second one?

Michael.