List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded application development
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2001-06-18 0:57:51

On Sonntag, 17. Juni 2001 17:05 David Faure wrote:

> It might be better so simply use KFileViews (from the file dialog)
> together with a preview job (not sure, I have never used a kfileview,
> but Carsten will speak up hopefullly :)

I do :) Actually, I have a KFileIconView with builtin preview support already
here, but didn't commit it due to the freeze. Works just perfectly for me,
tho.

Basically, you want to start loading the thumbnails after the directory has
been read. There's a signal KDirOperator::finishedLoading() which tells you
about that. The default views (e.g. KFileIconView) in libkfile don't know
about the diroperator and therefore don't get notified about that signal, so
I simply start a single-shot timer in KFileIconView::insertItem() and start

I also added a lot of API docu for KDirOperator, KFileViews etc. for 2.2
(check webcvs.kde.org if you don't use cvs or cvsup).

I'll add a some new virtual methods to KFileView for 3.0, one for
finishedLoading for eaxmple, so the timer won't be necessary.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer