List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded application development
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-06-17 15:05:10

On Sunday 17 June 2001 17:31, Aurelien Gateau wrote:
> Le Dimanche 17 Juin 2001 12:17, David Faure a écrit :
> > Hmm, thumbnail generation in Konqueror (and pixie) is non-blocking, and
> > without using threads :)
> > KIO provides the "non-blocking" bits here, since it's fully asynchronous.
> > The kioslave "kio_thumbnail" provides the thumbnails.
> > Have a look at kdelibs/kio/previewjob.*, it's the interface to this system.
> Thanks, I will have a look at this. Maybe the best thing to do is to use
> Konqueror file views :o), is it possible ? I mean, are they in a separate
> library that I can link to ?

Yes, they are even available as KParts components (so you don't need them
when linking, only at runtime).
But you would get some UI for file management together with them,
and you would have to either disable it, or implement some of the stuff
Konqueror does (like the standard actions etc.).
It might be better so simply use KFileViews (from the file dialog)
together with a preview job (not sure, I have never used a kfileview,
but Carsten will speak up hopefullly :)

--
Per his initials, God was simply a "Good Oop Developer".
-- Richard Bos