Waldo Bastian wrote: > > On Saturday 16 June 2001 10:05 pm, Cristian Tibirna wrote: > > On Sunday 17 June 2001 00:18, Waldo Bastian wrote: > > > On Saturday 16 June 2001 07:22 pm, Jeff brubaker wrote: > > > > Does this mean that no applications included in the base distribution > > > > of KDE use threads at all? > > > > > > I believe arts uses threads. But arts doesn't depend on KDE. I don't > > > think any actual KDE application uses threads, but I'm not 100% sure. > > > > knode? > > Aren't you mixing up msg-threads and "pthreads" now? No, Cristian is right, both knode and kdict use pthreads for asynchronous network access and data processing. Their design has historical reasons - this code was written in pre-KDE2 times. I plan to port both programs to kio in the near future. This will obsolete pthreads for kdict, but its possible that we keep a thread in knode for data processing. We will see... Anyway, knode is a nice example of what is possible in KDE wrt multithreading without using the QThread framework: * the network threads are strictly non-gui (even kdDebug() is forbidden) * in the gui thread we have monitor class which is connected to the network threads via pipes (QSocketNotifier...). * the monitor class has a queue of pending jobs. When the network thread is idle, it transfers the data for the first job to the thread and sends a signal to the thread. The thread processes the job and notifies the monitor class when it is done, or it wants to print a progress message, etc. The monitor job extracts the data of the processed job and forwards it to the right GUI class. Greetings Christian -- >><< Christian Gebauer >><< gebauer@bigfoot.com >><< ICQ 14916141 >><< >> Visit http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<