List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Multithreaded application development
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-17 5:05:40

On Saturday 16 June 2001 08:06 pm, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> KDE uses a technology called KIO (KDE's input/output technology) to
> accomplish this. These use the "many processes" as opposed to "one
> process/many threads" approach. There is a continuous religious war about
> processes vs. threads efficiency and performance but for now we don't care
> about this. Qt's support for multithreading is very young and (perhaps)
> still fragile. We will wait for it to mature (heard Qt-3 does it) and then
> we will start using threads more than currently,as Waldo says.

<serious>
Sorry, I'll have to pedantic here: I haven't said that we will be using
threads more. My first answer to threads is, and always has been: don't.

Having said that, I do recognize that there are cases that threads might be
the proper solution and I don't think we should deny _other_ people the
possibility to use them in such situations. *)
</serious>

<less serious>
I mean, threads are evil.. devilish evil. The temptation of actually using
threads is ever present with promises of smoother running code, yet when you
do you will be burning for the rest of times in the pitholes of your debugger
trying to hunt for the unreproducable timing-based memory corrupting bugs
introduced by your smooth running threaded code. That kind of evil. The fact
that Microsoft uses them so much should have been a hint, no?
</less serious>

<insane>
*) I mean, we allow people to do evil things like indenting with tabs, so why
not allow them to use threads as well?
</insane>

Cheers,
Waldo