List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kioslave capability for information-broker
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-17 4:29:56

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:58, Olaf Zanger wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > for the information-broker design i have some questions to the
> > kde-go(o)ds
> >
> > Q1: (for my understanding with the new cdaudio that masquerades mp3 files
> > on a cd in mind)
> > is it possible to read these faked mp3 files by e.g. xmms by loading them
> > through the file-selection box? (cdaudio doesn't work at mine, so i can't
> > try it :-)

I don't understand all of your questions but lemme try to answer in general.
You can make a kio-slave to access about any information and subsequently
represent that information in a specific way. When you do that all _KDE_
applications will be able to access that information, not unlike as if it
where a normal file.

By using "kfmclient" you can start any non-KDE applications with any URL that
a KDE application will understand. kfmclient will then download this URL
first and then feed it into the application via the command line.

Given the above description I don't think it is possible to access such URLs
over samba subsequently without some major hacking.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com