List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Removal of Pixie?
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-17 1:51:01

My personal take on the situation is mixed. I have been an active worker on KDE
related things for the past few years...and I really enjoy the kind sense of
equality and enthusiasm that our project has. We have some very telented people
who are developers, translaters, webmasters etc.

The way I see this is that Mosfet is an extremely talented developer has has
produced lots of worthy  work as a gift to KDE. Mosfet, we identify this work
and we are appreciative of it.

The problem is that Mosfet seems to hve difficulty interfacing with other
developers in KDE. He has expressed that he finds the KDE team to be too
argumentative and make a drama out of everything. I hate to say this but the
only person who makes it into a drama is him.

Much as we treasure everyone  who works on KDE I dont feel we have a right to
sacrifice KDE for a single contributers problems with communication or
disagreement with others views.

The removal of the styles from the CVS was nothing other that an act that holds
KDE developers and users at gunpoint in terms of the code. Other developers
worked on this code and should have been asked...and KDE users would expect
certain things to be in KDE. If they are not there they are going to wonder
whats going on. This close to release time this is insane.

Mosfet, this is a game of groupo communication. I know I have had times when I
have disagreed with certain developers and got a little frustrated...but I have
been told that open source cooperation is not just about code...but it is about
personalities and politics. We work on a trust basis here...and each CVS is
given out under a purpose of trust.

I dont want to preach to hard here...but I feel issues like this can reflect on
others and make the KDE developer environment unattractive to come to. I love
working on KDE and I want to love working on it for a long time to come.

If KDE is not right for you mosfet due to argumentive developers or
whatever...I suggest you work on your code outside the environment. Like I said
before...I respect your work and your products...and I feel that if you were to
leave the KDE project it would be a loss...but we all hve to play a part...and
part that is dictated by the KDE netiquette.

        Jono

--
Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org
Qt/KDE Developer