List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How do you get Makefiles to make themselves?
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () suse ! com>
Date:       2001-06-15 15:33:37

Christopher Willmot wrote:
> Working within kdenonbeta.
> I make a change to kdenonbeta/kml/editor/Makefile.am.
> Recompiling gives the following:
>
> cd /home/kml/
> make
> Making all in editor
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/kdex/kdenonbeta/kml/editor'
> cd ../.. && automake --gnu kml/editor/Makefile
> automake: couldn't open `configure.in': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [Makefile.in] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kdex/kdenonbeta/kml/editor'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> I've tried putting symlinks to /kdenonbeta/configure.in into both kml and
> kml/editor directories but the result is still the same.  What do other
> people do about project subdirectories?

Actually, the code as you have it in kdenonbeta/kml is fine.  I am
guessing that you moved the 'editor' subdir (the Makefile, at least)
into the new subdir location without rerunning 'make -f Makefile.cvs'

This is because the Makefile contains a relative path to the
'configure.in' (and other) files.  If you move the Makefile, then the
path is broken.

The way around this is to delete run 'make -f Makefile.cvs' in the
toplevel of kdenonbeta
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop