List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE PIM Roadmap (Call to action)
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2001-06-14 20:43:44

On Thursday 14 June 2001  8:41 pm, Richard Bos wrote:
> On Thursday 14 June 2001 17:44, Nick Papadonis wrote:
> > I do think KDE PIM needs to switch to a database for storage.  The
> > VCAL files are great, but don't provide the functionality ( or
> > robustness ) of applications like MS Outlook.
> >
> > I believe Outlook integrates all email, contact, todos, and calender
> > information in a central database.  KDE PIM should store everything in
> > DB except emails.
>
> Which database are you thinking about?  As I'm involved in another project
> that will try to handle project management, it will be interesting to know.
> Perhaps efforts in this area can be combined?

I was just wondering, before people decide that a database would be an
appropriate backend for PIM apps, can somebody tell me which applications
they think should use this back-end? Are we talking about including KMail,
KNode, messaging applications (ICQ, AIM, Jabber etc.)? What about KProject
(which Richard mentions) which will need to connect to people schedules etc?

I'm just trying to work out the scope of Mike's proposal, i.e. trying to work
out the exact nature of the problem before looking for a solution.

Then again I'm only a newbie around here so maybe I missed something. I'll go
away now and try and find it :-)

Cheers,
Sean
--