List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE PIM Roadmap (Call to action)
From:       "Adriaan de Groot" <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-14 7:10:11

On Thursday 14 June 2001 02:18, Mike Pilone wrote:
> I was recently talking with Greg Stern (of abbrowser conduit fame) about
> the state of KDE PIM. In our discussions, we started to through around some
> ideas of redesigning the entire KDE PIM API.

I'm all for it. See also the "eks-data repository" thread on kde-devel.

> Ideally, I would like to write up the roadmap for KDE PIM, to help guide
> the interested developers in the right direction. If all goes well, this
> would culminate in a PIM developer gathering in late 2001
> (September/November timeframe).

Various dates and places have been suggested. The KPilot team is mostly in
Eurpose (.no, .nl, .de), and Dan seems to have indicated he'd be willing to
come out for such an event. Cornelius .. well, I don't know where he is. The
eks-guy is in .ch. One promising (?) location is the LinuxKongress, the
German Unix Users Group yearly Linux meeting, which is in .nl this year, in
Enschede, in November.

> With this preassembled roadmap, the meeting
> can be a codefest, to try out our proposed ideas and quite possibly have a
> new PIM architecture in place, rather than design meetings and methodology
> arguments.

O yeah.. if Preston and Matthias (?) can get drunk and design a new protocol
then we can get drunk and design a PIM architecture.

> Note: To the dot.kde.org editors. If you have a slow news day in the near
> future, I would appreciate an announcement of this. KDE needs to recruite
> some developers to the PIM package to get it moving even faster.

The abbrowser conduit -- now the KAddressBook conduit -- is listed in a
single line in the 2.2 ChangeLog; I suppose someone (moi?) needs to supply a
longer blurb there.

--
[ade] at home, probably hacking at KPilot