List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Font installer, Xftconfig, Xfs, and CVS
From:       Craig Drummond <cpdrummond () freeuk ! com>
Date:       2001-06-11 14:11:48

Hi,

I think that I've almost finished my font installer KControl module.

As part of the installing of fonts, the module can also edit XftConfig
files - and will add each directory in the X fonts directory that
contains TrueType or Type1 fonts to XftConfig. It also allows for other
XftConfig parameters to be edited - exlcuding a range of point sizes
from being anti-aliased, and enabling of sub-pixel hinting. I was also
thinking of being able to add extra "rules" to the XftConfig file -
such as font name substition. However, I'm not really sure that this
sort of functionality belongs within a "font installer". Is this a good
idea?

Other things to be added include support of Xfs config files - but as I
don't use Xfs I'm not to sure about how to do this. i.e. which
directories should be placed in the Xfs config file - the same as for
XF86Config, or only those containing TrueType fonts? Plus, should
Xf86Config also contain the directories listed in Xfs's config file?

Speedo fonts are always installed as iso8859-1 - is this OK? Should I
use the locale instead? If not, how do I tell the encoding of a Speedo
font? I realise that most people will not be installing Speedo fonts -
but it'd be nice to be able to install them properly anyway.

As a further point - I realise that it's too late for it to be included
in 2.2 (plus I'm not sure if it's stable enough anyway) - but maybe it'
s time that I placed the code into KDE's CVS, in the kdenonbeta module?
Again, is this a good idea to do it now - or would it be better to wait
a while (e.g. until I've added Xfs support)?

Ciao

Craig.

p.s. Please send any email regarding kfontinst to cpdrummond@freeuk.com
- and not my UKLinux account (because at the moment I can only access
the UKLinux account at weekends...)

p.p.s. The latest version of the code is http://www.cpdrummond.uklinux.
net/kfontinst-new/kfontinst-0.10b3.tar.gz