List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: High performance liquid screenshots
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2001-06-11 7:41:36

On Sunday 10 June 2001 23:12, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> 1.
> Daniel, you did copyright the style to yourself, didn't you? So the
> only person taking a risk is Daniel. If he chooses to do so it's his
> choice! What is KDE? KDE is a worldwide network of volunteers. A network.
> KDE is no legal entity at all. KDE e.V. is not KDE. The KDE League is
> not KDE. In fact, we founded KDE e.V. to have a legal entity handy to
> deal with Trolltech back then. Nobody can send a cease and desist letter
> to KDE because KDE doesn't exist in legal space. They can send it to
> Daniel. Again: If he wants to take the risk, his choice!
>
> 2.
> But if Apple sends a cease and desist letter anyway? Whom to? Kurt because
> he is the speaker for America? Martin because he is the the speaker for
> Europe? They still aren't KDE!!!!!! Having the most anarchic development
> model in the OSS world isn't a development speed advantage only. It also
> is an advantage when it comes to lega issues. KDE is noting a court can
> get its hands on. :-)

Uwe, I fear this does not matter. Whoever they are going to send the letter,
be it KDE eV, Martin or Kurt will have to deal with it. Even if all three do
not represent KDE as a legal entity the letter would have to be dealt with.
And I fear that an answer like "I don't represent KDE as a leagl enitity."
will help the one to receive the letter out.

Greetings,
Matthias