List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: High performance liquid screenshots
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-10 19:42:57

> I didn't take your comments personal, it's just that I spent two weeks
> working on this thing very hard, and if people can't use it I'm going to be
> very upset because I think it's really good. I don't want this to be yet
> another thing that sits on my harddrive and is never used.

Mosfet, much as everyone admires your work, we want to protect KDE from any
legal mangling. We had enough negative discussion regarding legal status of
KDE with the QPL and GPL days.

As for everyone with KDE complaining and making a drama out of things, I
personally find this insulting. We all care about KDE and care about it's
future, and I don't feel that by saying we all make a drama out of things is
acceptable to get your work in the CVS.

My personal opinion is twofold. Firstly, I like your work, and I think it
looks quite nice. I don't think any of us have any legitimacy to say that we
are safe from an Apple law suit regarding your work. The fact of whether it
uses orginal work or whatever means shit to a large corporation suing a bunch
of free software people. Thjis brings into account who would pay the legal
bills, and who would take ultimate responsibility. The way I see it is that
if this is gonna get KDE into trouble at all, it should stay out.

The other element to this discussion is relating to a more general discussion
of exactly what should go into official packages. To be brutally honest, when
I get KDE on a machine, I rarely use half of the stuff that comes with it. I
think muc of the stuff that comes with KDE (although well written and good
work), should stay out. This also takes into account themes. Yeah KDE is
themable, but why should this theme go in and some of the others not. I feel
we should maybe keep a poll and limit the amount of themes in KDE.

Finally, if you have worked on this work and dont want it just sit on your
hard drive, you can still make it available on a website, at apps.kde.com
etc. Stuff that is in the official packages is important, but not
necceccerily more important than stuff that isnt in the packages. I for
example have wirtten and I am writing lots of software for KDE, none of which
is in the official packages, but I am still happy that people can use my
software if they wish.

	Jono