List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Guitar program
From:       Jay Oliveri <ilnero () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-06-08 23:56:25

I myself can be considered a professional musician (signed, gigs..) and
I'm also a programmer; glad to see a thread of this kind.

On Wednesday 06 June 2001 05:49 pm, Jono Bacon wrote:
> I think the aim should be for a program that can create generic
> notation but for many types of instruments, and variations such as
> tab and drum scores.

The most popular tool in the industry right now is ProTools
(www.digidesign.com).  Most recording studios run it; some on the
PC/Win platform as well.  Of course it's very expensive.  AFAIK you
need to purchase hardware along with the software as a bundle.

> I am a guitarist, drummer, bassist and vocalist...and I am going to
> be recording a solo project and I woluld love something that I can
> create either one instruments score (eg guitar tab and notes) or a
> whole band score with bass, drums, guitar and lyrical lines.

Me too.  I'm ready to do some real development on this.

> I dont think sequencing is important other than playing back the
> notes you create. I think the whole idea of multitrack recording is
> not so essential. It could be added later anyway.

Not sure what you mean here.

> To be honest what we need is a KDevelop equivilent for score
> creation. A main interface with lots of plugins.

Right.  And the Tab interface should be a plug-in, since it's guitar
specific.  I would say, music-illiterate-guitar-specific ;)

Every Good Boy Does Fine

> I would *love* to help work on something like this but I am just to
> busy with other KDE stuff at the moment.

Well this has been an idea I've toyed around with most of my
programming life (it's been 16 years of programming).  It's only now I
see the proper platform for it (KDE of course).

> I really hope this discussion can be the inspiration for the creation
> of a really cool scoring program. Maybe the authors of KGuitar,
> Noteedit, Brahms and Rosegarden could collaborate on a new scoring
> editor.

Personally, I think that a killer app should be started to fulfill the
higher end niche.  Linux is currently doing it as a server in much of
corporate America, whether the suits know it or not.

I think something that does excellent editing, integration with ditital
tracks, time-coding etc. could be a great thing for the Free Software
Community at large.  Forget Sony, Time Warner, Universal, EMI, ...

I am of course volunteering to contribute in the areas of design and
implementation (coding).  If nothing else I'll run with it myself, get
a stable base design then accounce it when I think people can
contribute in a meaningful way.

Anyone (including you Jono) is free to contact me directly :)

> 	Jono

- --
Jay Locke                                    "In the land of the blind,
                                              the one-eyed man is king."
GnuPG ID: 0x2EC6780C