List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What does --enable-final do?
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-06-08 16:12:24

On Friday 08 June 2001 06:41, Neil Stevens wrote:

> The compile itself is faster because gcc has to parse all the myriad
> headers only once per binary.  It's a reasonable workaround for the
> absence of preprocessed header support in gcc.

The compile will only be faster if you have enough memory. I noticed that
--enable-final can need lots of RAM. Perhaps it's just that I expect too much
(running KDE while compiling with --enable-final and three parallel compile
jobs with128MB, I got "virtual memory exhaust" errors.). Anyway, if your
system needs to swap, the compile will probably be slower.

--
The UNIX Guru's View of Sex:
gawk; talk; nice; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; strip; touch; gasp; \