List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: List of 4-Modifier Layout
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-06-08 5:02:26

Greetings Waldo,

> Why does the Meta scheme have all those strange combinations and not e.g.
> Meta+F3 instead of Alt-F3?
>
> > Switch To Desktop #		Ctrl+F#		Meta+#
> > Show Window List		Alt+F5		Meta+0
> >
> > Pop-up Window Op-Menu:		Alt+F3		Alt+Space
> > K-Menu				Alt+F1		Meta+Space

I've tried to make the key assignments as logical as possible, and spent
literally hours drafting up tables of various possible schemes (considering \
 some things which i'll have to wait until the next version to \
implement)...   Of course, every scheme is only more or less arbitrary. ;)  \
Anyhow, i think  the some of these settings bring more consistency and are \
more 'learnable' than the usual.  For example, there is a certain \
correspondence between  the window menu and k-menu, and so it makes sense \
to use the same key with  the appropriate modifier.  Or the correspondence \
between quitting a dialog  box, quitting a document, quitting a program, \
and closing the window manager  (I like the 'escape' key for this).  F#-key \
assignments often seem highly  arbitary (although not in desktop \
switching).

Regarding the desktop switching, i think i would like to change it back to
using F#-keys so that the number keys could be used for jumping to a given
program in the taskbar...