List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What does --enable-final do?
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-06-08 3:34:32

Hi!
> I am playing a bit around with --enable-final but I cannot see any
> improvement.
> >From what I have seen --enable-finale does:
> - create a all_cpp.cpp file with all the .ccp files #included (more time
> when recompiling, but less disk space used?)
  I think that it can substantially REDUCE the compile time, because all the
headers which are used in all the sources, are parsed only once, which is faster
with compilers without precompiled headers (current GCC).

> - adds a -ftemplate-depth-99, what is this used for?
Snipped from "info gcc",
`-ftemplate-depth-N'
     Set the maximum instantiation depth for template classes to N.  A
     limit on the template instantiation depth is needed to detect
     endless recursions during template class instantiation. ANSI/ISO
     C++ conforming programs must not rely on a maximum depth greater
     than 17.
Maybe in such a big code You need to increase the limit.

> and nothing else. So, what is the --enable-final use ?
I'm using it and it makes the compilation about 30% faster (it' my feeling, I didn't
make exact measurements).
                                   With regards, Pavel Troller