List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Open Request to KDE and Gnome for plugin support
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-31 23:10:18

On Thursday 31 May 2001 20:52, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I have been in contact with Bynari about this and explained some of
> the APIs that are already in place. Since the interesting parts of
> their software are unlikely to become open source I don't expect that
> many KDE developers will rush out to add support for that.

Bynari offers to help with implementing a groupware solution. But they
don't want to give away their plugin for free. That's understandable,
they are a company and have business restrictions.

It's clear that we could benefit from interoperability with Outlook and
Exchange. If they can help us with this, they are welcome. I have no
problem with implementing a plugin interface, if we get back something
in exchange.

The offer of Bynari is similar to other offers we had in the past. It
sounds quite interesting, but if it is more than just words, we will
see when it comes down to real work.

> It does show that it is important to have an extendable PIM
> architecture in place and that it is beneficial to have a common
> interface for those things. But we already knew that of course.

And we are working on this...

> There is a kde-pim list for people that would like to help out in
> this area.

This is something, which couldn't be emphasized more :-) There are a
lot of interesting projects related to kde-pim: The new addressbook
architecture, synchronisation with mobile devices, group scheduling and
more. People willing to help with these tasks are very welcome.

Cheers,
Cornelius