List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: C++ compilers
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-31 15:22:47

Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> On Thursday 31 May 2001 15:14, Toomas Velka wrote:
>
> > it may be wrong place to ask, but are there any other compilers except gcc,
> > which are capable to compile QT/KDE on ix86 platform and do it faster then
> > gcc?
>
> Not right now.
>
> > Compiling KOffice took 5 hours on my AMD-K6 400MHz/96Mb RAM/RH Linux
> > 7.0 and the whole KOffice  was wery slow.
>
> Try adding memory and the '--enable-final' configure option (the latter will
> speed up compiling only).

Please don't recommend that option to people with 96MB RAM!
KSpread, e.g., eats about 115MB during compilation and other
KOffice applications require similar amounts of memory. This
means that the machine will start to swap and you will even
lose speed compared to a plain compilation.

I'd recommend at least 196MB RAM for people trying to compile
with --enable-final.

Ciao,
Werner

--