List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: how to write a configure script
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-31 15:11:07

Hi,

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Mark W. Webb wrote:
> I am writing a program that used the postgres lpq++ libraries, and I have my
> program about ready to distribute.  How do I set up my configure script to
> search for the postgres libraries?

For a good and thorough check for a "package" consisting of headers and
libraries (including file-existance and linkability tests) look e.g. in
kdebase/kioslave/ldap/configure.in.in, and the similar modeled
kdebase/kioslave/audiocd/configure.in.in.  Someday I'll factor them out
into acinclude.m4.in.

> Is there a site that shows me how to set all of these things up.  Like
> setting up makefiles(Makefile, Makefile.in, Makefile.am), configure
> scripts...etc ??

You only write Makefile.am's yourself.  If needed also configure.in.in's
which check for various features needed by your program.

Ciao,
Michael.