List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new startup notification code in cvs
From:       Tim Lee <tlee () tc ! fluke ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 17:54:15

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 11:29, Raphael Borg Ellul Vincenti wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 19:22, Tim Lee wrote:

> > Hum, what about those of us that don't show the entries in the task bar.
> > I never have and don't plan to.  It would be nice to just have the equiv.
> > to what Winblows/Mac have.  It has always been quite usefull to me.
> > This sounds way to complex when all that is needed is an indication
> > that the user has started something and it is still busy getting started.
> > And again this should be at the users focus, normally the cursor.  The
> > simplest seems the best, the spinning gear following the cursor until
> > the app is started (whatever that means) just like what is shown in the
> > taskbar.
>
> The feature being attempted to be implemented goes beyond just an icon to
> show that the app is running. This all boils down to make it configurable
> that you can only see the flashing icon of the newly started app instead of
> having all the fancy animations and what not. The Windows implementation
> doesn't show what app is currently attempting to start. In a way this is
> quite a bit of a shortcoming so the icon of the application starting is a
> welcome feature.

Doesn't seem to be a short coming.  99% of the time the user nows what
app she tried to start.  The above seems to be adding a lot of complication
for a little bit of gain.  Seems like all I've heard users request is an equivalent
to what is implemented in other systems, at least that is what I've heard from
the people I now that use KDE.

At least for me just having a spinning gear (or hour glass) next to the cursor
when I start Mozilla and it takes 20 seconds for the window to show up
would be a great improvement.

--
Tim Lee
R&D Design Engineer