List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT 3.0 and future KDR Road Map
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 20:45:46

On Monday 28 May 2001 23:41, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Obviously I'm overlooking things here, but which? I don't think the above is
> right, but it is the way I see it currently, so where is my mistake? If there
> isn't, then maintaining two versions would be a piece of cake, so there must
> be a catch ;-)

Separating binaries/libs from two kde versions is easy, that's not the problem.

The problem is, things like, talking to kdeinit, or klauncher.
kdeinit can be linked to only one copy of the libs... so you can't get it to start
apps from two incompat versions of KDE.
Same for any kioslave, etc.

Of course, a standalone app that doesn't use KIO and isn't started via kdeinit
should work ok - but that's quite limiting.