List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT-3.0 install??
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 13:01:54

On Monday 28 May 2001 15:47, Nash Hoogwater wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm quite new to this list and I'm not sure if this is the right list to
> ask this question but wel here is comes.
>
> Can I install the beta QT 3.0 and tryout the Gui Builder without screwing
> up my KDE 2.1.1 (2.1.2 libs) install? And when this is possible can I make
> programs with it that run on the current KDE? So when I use e.g. a
> data-aware component does it work?

The new Qt shouldn't give any problems with an existing KDE, as long as you
put it in its own dir and leave the current Qt 2.x on your system for KDE.

However, Qt 3 is _not_ source or binary compatible with KDE, so you cannot
run KDE using Qt 3.0 libs. IIRC even compiling isn't possible at all, or you
should prepare for a _lot_ of hacking in autoconf, automake and the kde
sources to get it compiled (not to speak about actually running...)

So, in short: forget KDE + Qt 3.0 in one app for the time being, but feel
free to use standalone Qt 3 without KDE next to your KDE install...

Martijn