List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new startup notification code in cvs
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 10:27:43

On Monday 28 May 2001 07:25, Jono Bacon wrote:
> [ snip ]
>
>  - Secondly...I dont see the problem with an hourglass. I dont feel that an
> icon is that helpful to the user...although I do believe that it can help.

Hmm... I liked the app's icin much more. I would even like the notification
to be extended: If you are starting more apps at the same time, show icons
for _all_ those apps. The distance between the icons and the mouse pointer is
big enough to make it useful.
Currently if I fire up more than one app I still have to look on the taskbar
to see if everything is loading ok, with the icons that isn't necessary
anymore. Or it would be because more than one icon eats even more
performance, but I don't know about that...

> I personally feel that a spinning gear (like in Konqi) would look the best.
> I feel we need a form of animation to indicate that something is occuring.
> The problem with the current soloution is that as it does not animate it
> feels a bit slow.

That it feels slow has a technical reason, the lack of animation might be a
good point (though personally I still prefer icons over animation, but that's
personal taste).

Martijn