List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new startup notification code in cvs
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-05-27 17:31:20

On Saturday 26 May 2001 08:18 am, Anders Orebäck wrote:
> Hi.
> Regarding the startup notification in current CVS.
> I actually enjoy this feature.
> You said you wanted feedback, so here we go.
>
> 1.
> It starts for kio_cache_cleaner or whatever its called.
> I guess it should not.
>
> 2.
> The busy icon hangs around for too long usually.
> (Maybe just for konq, like you said.)
>
> 3.
> I really liked it the way it was in the first checkin.
> Where the busy icon was the icon for the app being launched.
> (I even thought the blinking was nice;-)
> Now its always the "generic app" icon which I never liked anyway.
> (And a lot of times its just grey?)
>
> Cheers,
>
> ./Anders
I agree with the above and especially the generic app icon. To me the generic
icon causes me to look at it and wonder what I did. It takes my eyes away
from the taskbar where it confirms I did not accidentally click the wrong
icon. I know that I clicked an app with an icon assigned to it but the
generic icon feels uncertain to me. Why in the world would we downgrade this
feature? There ought to be some way to have the far more useful previous
behavior available. (besides using Alt-F2 instead of kicker)

I honestly thought the new behavior was a bug.

--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team