List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: newbie question
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-26 7:25:58

Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Freitag, 25. Mai 2001 21:00 Thomas Satzinger wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > i am new to this list, have experiance in qt-programming and want to switch
> > to kde-libs.
>
> great :)
>
> > the biggest problem for me at the beginning is to find out when to use
> > kde-classes, even when do kde-classes exist for qt-classes.
>
> It's often the case, that there is a KDE class derived from the Qt class,
> e.g. QComboBox -> KComboBox. Or, KDE had some classes first and Qt added
> similar functionality later. And KDE has classes, that Qt has not (and the
> other way round). Hmm, that doesn't help you, does it :}
>
> > like QWorkspace, QTable etc....
>
> For QTable, I'm pretty sure there is no KDE equivalent. Regarding QWorkspace,
> there is KDockWindow, but I have no idea about MDI. Actually, MDI
> applications are not encouraged, SDI is preferred.
>
> > do i have to search all the doc or is there a simpler mechanism to find out
>
> A quick check would be to grep for KClass instead of QClass in
> $KDEDIR/include. I don't think we have an overview about a mapping from Qt
> classes to KDE classes.

Generating the KDE API docs with kdoc would help. Cross-referencing to
Qt docs can be done with qt2kdoc and included. The inheritance class
tree will show you where KDE classes derive from a Qt class that
originally served as providing the base functionality. KDE classes tend
to specialize a Qt class (like the completion combo for instance).

Hmm..a complete tree of Qt and KDE classes alltogether wouldn't be too
bad....

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org