List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Problems running 2 instances of KDE
From:       Scott Manson <Maniac () Alltel ! net>
Date:       2001-05-25 16:52:07

Hello
I have noticed a "new" problem with KDE
I have a stable KDE running from /usr and
tried running the cvs one from /opt/kde2 in another XSession
the environment is setup correctly as both run semi-correctly.
I tried to run kcontrol from kicker under the cvs version and got
an error/warning about found version 32 expecting version 35.
with another message about outdated database.

Isn't this where the sycoca database is stored?
I see an entry under /tmp/kde-USER/ksycoca which I think is the problem.

in ksycoca.cpp around line 70 there is
QString path = KGlobal::dirs()->saveLocation("tmp") + "ksycoca";
I propose to add the following   +"-"+kapp->randomString(3);  (where 3
elements should be enough?)
which should give a name similar to ksycoca-??? where the ??? are random
or do we try and use the environment variable $DISPLAY to associate
each ksycoca with each instance of X?

If the first solution is do-able is 3 elements enough?
Does every platform set the $DISPLAY environment?
Would using the PID be another portable solution?

--
Maniac@alltel.net 40° 37' 9" N, 96° 57' 24" W
A single tasking guy in multi tasking world.