List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KGesture and DCOP Interfaces
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-05-24 18:08:13

On Thursday 24 May 2001 19:42, Mike Pilone wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I wrote KGesture the other day. It is a gesture recognition application
> for KDE. As far as I know, it is the first of its kind and offers
> something MS doesn't.

Cool. I saw this first in Mentor Graphics, a program for electronic circuit
and microchip design (called mouse strokes there). I always liked the idea of
some easy gestures. But I think this would better integrate into KAction. The
best would be a dialog where users can assign gestures to actions. How does
the user specify that he wants to draw a gesture? In Mentor, one needed to
press and hold a mouse button while drawing.

> Problem 2:
> ----------
> Currently users must use the 'dcop' command to find the method they want
> to trigger. Is there a DCOP browser out there, or a widget that builds a
> tree from DCOP information?

There is kdcop, which is exactly what you are looking for.

> It started as a little adventure in stroke recognition, but people seem to
> like it, and it is a new approach to computer interaction (at least on the
> desktop with a mouse! CAD apps have been doing it with a pen forever).

It seems to be coming up more and more. The latest version of Opera has
support for some simple gestures and in the game "Black & White", they are
used, too.

--
Why is lemon juice mostly artificial ingredients but
dishwashing liquid contains real lemons?