List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QT 3.0 and future KDR Road Map
From:       <danielmo () xena ! tops ! net>
Date:       2001-05-23 14:40:47

Hi Christoph!

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> Why don't make a 2.3 based on completly based on qt 3 ? Would be a nice test
> for qt3 and from 2.3 to 3.0 we only must rework on kde stuff, not rework kde
> and port it to qt3 at once.

Please not! We should really keep up our stratigy:

Major version == BIC
Minor versions == BC is kept

I know that _many_ people would like to switch to Qt3 ASAP
(that includes me, too) but if you want to develop with Qt3,
we should have a KDE3 branch, which I would suggest to introduce
by the time when KDE 2.3 is out (around fall/winter 2001). Then
we would have our common 2.3.1 fix branch and HEAD would be open
to KDE3 development.

This solution would make it easy for the user to recognize potential
compatiblility problems w/ his KDE version and his K Applications.

Greetings,

</daniel>