List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FAQ in need of a maintainer
From:       Pam R <pam.roberts () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-05-20 8:14:23

On Saturday 19 May 2001 13:04, Lauri Watts wrote:
> Dear everyone (even the faq-zombies)
>
> I've heard from Lee Wee Tiong, the previous maintainer of the faq, and due
> to real life commitments he is no longer in a position to continue actively
> maintaining the FAQ.  He did a great job, and will be missed.
>
> The fact remains that the FAQ hasn't really been updated for about 6 months
> now, and it needs some help.
>
> My proposal:
>
> 1: Split it now into a pre KDE2 and a post KDE2 faq.

Yes, this certainly needs doing as kde2.x is muchly different to 1.x  But
then kde2.1 differs from kde2.0, and as for 2.2 - wow ;-)

A question though, do we really need a kde1.x version ? After all the way
most users get to see it is because it comes with the version of kde that
they have installed, so a kde1.x version is useless to anyone installing the
latest and greatest. The only place for a kde1.x version would, presumably,
be a browsable version referenced from kde.org's home page, but they don't
seem to be supporting or even talking about legacy software at all these days.

>Even much of the KDE
> 2 installation instructions are outdated and incorrect.  (I'll do this if
> there is no volunteer)

A problem here is that no one person can be familiar with all of the various
systems and distros and the various hoops that you have to jump through when
trying to install/update kde on them.

[snip]
> Perhaps the ideal is to have one (or a small team) of maintainers who
> actually add the questions into the document, but lots of people who will
> help by submitting questions and answers which can be discussed and refined
> on the kde-faq mailing list.

A good idea, perhaps we should change the wording of the text on the front
page of the FAQ which at present asks people _not_ to post questions to
kde-faq ?

[snip]

Pam
--