List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: idea for "registry editor"
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-05-20 15:33:15

On Sunday 20 May 2001 07:09 am, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have sat here with some MCSE sys admins and showed them KDE CVS, they
> liked it a lot..
>
> While we were talking, some of them asked me about the way to edit the
> configurations - either in user or for the entire system.. I showed them
> .kde and the hirarchy..
>
> Some of them asked me why there isn't some sort of "regedit" for KDE so the
> sys admin can do any changes they want - I said that personally I don't
> like the idea of regedit since it's all stored in 1 place, and although
> it's with backup - it's easy to destory an entire machine with a simple
> erase of those 2 files..
>
> So then someone came up with the idea which I'm asking you about it - and
> if someone wants to write it:
>
> How about a KDE application program which will be looked like "regedit" -
> but it will reserve and modify the actual configuration files - so it will
> be easy enough for the end user or a Unix/Linux newbie sys-admin to modify
> the files in GUI way...
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about it?  comments?

Well for one thing moving from one platform to another does require some
paradigm shifts... and the first thought that comes to mind for me is that
*nix does not have a central binary registry to corrupt and hose the entire
system with. It seems that their familiarity with repairing registry is a
point of positive comaprison for KDE.

Beyond that as Cristian mentioned there is kcontrol. Also there is a Linux
configuration tool being started recently announced here. I would personally
show them Webmin which enables them to administer the system over an SSL
connection from any browser anywhere in the world. Try that with your factory
NT setup.
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team