List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Red Carpet - Gnome Installer
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-19 11:51:29

On Saturday 19 May 2001 06:29, Greg Turpin wrote:
> Yeah, I agree here.
>
> There was a lot of "hype" about this project when it
> initially came out.  I felt turned-off about the project
> because it seemed like you already had enough
> coders (better than me) to help you out.
>
> Maybe I need to devote some time to it this summer : )
>
> Nick - post the website we can go to for info.  Also,
> tell us what work still needs to be done?  Is it the
> networking?  The GUI?  Testing?  Or everything?
> The more specific you are the easier it will be for someone
> to get interested.

Which might also be interesting are the following parts:
- What do you already have?

- How does the code run? In particular, if I run your installer to test it,
what will it do with my installed KDE? I wouldn't like it if the installer
were actually writing to my disk...

I originally promised to contribute parts, but I have to admit not having
committed a single line of code. I simply don't have enough time for yet
another project right now, unfortunately. Also, I'm not on a permanent
internet connection and my first impression of the installer was that it
needs internet access to run. I guess the current code can run from harddisk,
but back then it seemed to me like it couldn't do that yet.

I am currently working on a private project that has more importance for me
at the moment, but that might also be useful for integration in KDE installer
_IF_ I get it working. No promises, I'll let you know if and when I get
something working. That's all I can contribute right now, sorry.

Maybe if there's some item on the TODO that Greg requested I can see what I
can do, but that's not very likely.

Martijn