List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Noatun - fix or throw it out
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-05-19 2:11:59

On Friday 18 May 2001 04:36 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > one thing that' bugging me since weeks if not month, but after this
 > weeks' show in Frankfurt and other complains I got, I'd say the
 > following: either we move noatun out to kdenonbeta and take the kde 2.0
 > media player again, or it gets fixed by the ones who did it so it
 > acutally *works*.

Works here.  I compiled HEAD from scratch just yesterday.

 > I won't spend even an hour on another KDE booth with
 > that buggy thing shipping as #1 quality work of KDE and I don't even
 > want to *think* about the people bashing at us on LinuxTag for this
 > crime on music loving people a+lthough the effects are great.

"shipping" - key word.  You'd better be demonstrating the shipped
version of Noatun, if you're complaining like this.

 > I think
 > it's not too late for the ones that wrote it to fix it up for 2.2 and
 > increase the stability so this is your #1 chance to fix up things and
 > produce something that is rock-solid - and has to be as most people use
 > it or will say, hey, this is KDE, it has to work. It doesn't so KDE is
 > trash :-)

Oh, so you're demonstrating the current development code?  There's your
problem.  Things *break* in development, especially when the PlayObjects
are being reworked for the oft-requested streaming feature.  And, guess
what?  Unlike some parts of KDE, I don't think there's one person
involved with aRts who has the luxury of being paid to do KDE
full-time.  That means that fixes for the breakage may come more slowly
than you expect.

 > (PS: I know I'm shooting over the goal again, but my blood pressure
 > breaks any meassure instrument when it comes to noatun after *a whole
 > day of crashes* when clicking on a filename on either of these !@# three
 > different playlists!!!) :-)

Use the released code, then.  There's no law that says that developing
for KDE means you have to deprive yourself of these lovely releases we
make.  When KDE 2.0 came out, weren't there a bunch of people still
using KDE 1.1.2, while developing for 2.0?

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

keyserver search.keyserver.net
Fingerprint 86EA ECD4 F258 FB1B D88F 9136 4F49 90F8 CD3E 5C1C