List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Red Carpet - Gnome Installer
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz-home () cobol2java ! com>
Date:       2001-05-18 14:06:35

Well, the short answer - NO.

Now - the long answer:

Red-carpet is "married" to gtk - and not only gtk but to the other parts
(corba, bonobo, etc).

You also don't have available the back-end source code which you'll need for
stuff like - how they resolve dependencies, how they parse each RPM for
versions (i.e. rpm -qif is not enough), and how deep the depency check goes
etc..

Of course - they could add the kde's RPM's inside - but that will "hurt"
their "pride" - or so, thats what I heard from their people.

Of course - in business sence, making kde available in their database is very
logical, specially when they start charging for it. However, unfortunately,
Ximian and logical doesn't go together. I have emailed to someone there this
proposition long time ago when they just started the red-carpet stuff. The
answer was "no".

Hetz