List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Red Carpet - Gnome Installer
From:       "Chris Howells" <chrish () gmx ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-05-18 7:51:46

> From: Jeff brubaker <jeff@biomed.uakron.edu>
>   I just had a brain fart. I am in no way able to implement, but would it
> be possible for KDE to use the Red Carpet installer that is part of
Ximian
> Gnome. It looks like it just uses rpm, and provides a slick interfaces to
> subscribing to channels. Could it therefore be modified to install a
> subset of gnome to get Red Carpet running, and then install the kde
> packages?

IMVHO, that wouldn't be a good thing to do. It sounds way too much like a
"me to" kind of thing regarding KDE having an installer.

If an installer was wanted, I'd much rather the KDE project independently
produced their own installer. This of course wouldn't depend on GTK+
(whether it was statically linked or not), and the GNOME libraries.

I'm not sure if Red Carpet handles DEBs aswell as RPMs, but it would be
cool if a KDE installer could handle DEBs as well. :)

Oh, and I have heard stores of Red Carpet segfaulting and corrupting the
RPM database... :(

Cheers,
--
Chris Howells