List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Red Carpet - Gnome Installer
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-05-18 5:11:35

At 07:19 PM 5/17/2001, you wrote:
>   I just had a brain fart. I am in no way able to implement, but would it
>be possible for KDE to use the Red Carpet installer that is part of Ximian
>Gnome. It looks like it just uses rpm, and provides a slick interfaces to
>subscribing to channels. Could it therefore be modified to install a
>subset of gnome to get Red Carpet running, and then install the kde
>packages?
>
>-Jeff

> unsubscribe <<

We took a look at it with a mind to making it a Qt or KDE app, but from a
brief examination it appeared that the UI and transaction layer logic were
horribly intermixed so making it not Gtk was going to be a huge
burden.  However, if all you are interested in is having it run under
whatever libraries and get the applications you are interested in, there
shouldn't be any real problem in doing it.  The limiting factor is someone
who will host the applications and data and get them packaged up as needed
- a non-trivial thing.

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President