List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: IO-slave configuration
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-17 18:34:11

On Thursday 17 May 2001 02:46, Sergio Moretti wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2001 20:24, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 May 2001 04:18, Sergio Moretti wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I hope to not come too late to put my review ;) on the new slave
> > > configuration framework.
> > > Here some points:
> > > Lack of a per-slave configuration, I mean the possibilty to have a
> > > different configuration for every currently active slave's
> > > instance.
> >
> > You mean with slaves in connection-oriented mode? You can call
> > slave->setConfig() for those... does the slaveConfig stuf interfere
> > badly with that?
>
> no, I was thinking about an application running 2 or more ftp slaves in
> the same time, how can I configure each one indipendently from the
> others?

By running them in connection oriented mode. Otherwise having two slaves
configured differently makes no sense since you don't know which request will
end up with which slave. If you don't want to use connection oriented mode
for some reason, you will need to configure the slave for each request with
metadata.

> > > configNeeded signal not configurable, I think that this is a
> > > important point of extension, e.g. what if configuration is created
> > > dynamically when the host is hit, not before.
> >
> > What do you mean with "hit"?
>
> when the address is resolved, before the connection is activated, but
> what I really mean here is that you have to redesign the way a slave
> asks for informations, e.g. login/password, cookies, etc., and all data
> that a slave may needs, but you can't handle before it actually asks
> for.

Well, it doesn't _ask_ for cookies. Cookies always have to be send upfront
(and your application can provide them so that they aren't fecthed from the
cookiejar). I'm not sure how the login/password stuff is doing, I'm sure
Dawit can provide you with a way so that your application can intercept the
login/password request.

Cheers,
Waldo
--