List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Arrows: indication sort direction of columns
From:       Melchior FRANZ <a8603365 () unet ! univie ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-05-16 9:59:34

* Stephan Kulow -- Wednesday 16 May 2001 11:11:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2001 10:29, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > Come on! We all know that Micros~1 is wrong and KDE is right -- not only,
> > but also with respect to the arrows. Imagine a line with the letters A ..
> > Z, how would you set an arrow?
> >
> >    >> A B C D E F G H ... X Y Z >>
> >
> > That's only natural! Why should it be different when the letters are lined
>
> Hmm, I find  << 1 2 3 4 ... 6 << more natural. What now? We have two
> definition of natural?

Yes, obviously. A sane one and an insane one.  ;-)

We are numbering things with 1, 2, ..., -- there's a clear, natural direction.
We also number a coordinate system from 0, 1, ... and we even draw an arrow
from 0 to oo (infinite). That's how things are done in the western world
since several centuries. Arrows always indicate the passing time, while we
are numbering (1,2,3,...), reading ("ABC") -- they always point from "now"
to "later"/the future.

Are you also suggesting e.g. "yesterday (15th) << today (16th) << tomorrow (17th)"?
I'm used to look ahead, not backwards ...

The only argument for the "wrong" (sorry :-) way is: "It's the Micros~1 way."
And I don't like that! People keep saying, that KDE is like Micros~1
already, and I used to object. I'm reconsidering that, and it makes
me sad ...   :-(

Does anyone consider, that the migration phase for users who finally drop
their WinDos and move over to KDE is just 1 or 2 weeks? Do we really want to
make these two weeks for Micros~1 users as pleasant as possible, when it means
at the same time to make the next 10 or 20 years unpleasant for them and
for all of us? Never underestimate the skills of WinDos users. They will
soon learn how KDE works (didn't they manage to handle that Mircos~1 crap,
too?) -- we don't have to clone WinDos!

m.

PS: I hate me for saying this: Make it configurable then ...    ;-)