List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Arrows: indication sort direction of columns
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <gassauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-16 7:53:44

On 16 05 2001 00:07, Richard Stevens wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2001 23:38, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 May 2001 08:49, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Did anyone mention already that the arrows indicating the sort order of
> > > columns in  KDE (mail) and MS (outlook) mean just the opposite?
> > > KDE: the top of the triangle points to the highest value
> > > MS: the top of the triangle points to the lowest value
> > >
> > > somwhat irritating if using both system concurrently.
> >
> > Ferdinand, I understand your frustration. But you agree that you asking
> > KDE to change is not based on logic, but on the fact that you surely
> > won't convince MS to do it.
> >
> > A triangle pointing up, i.e. with the basis down, pictures to me better
> > the ordering of messages in a folder. The lowest priority item is at the
> > bottom, just like the basis of the triangle is at the bottom.
> >
> > Now, just because MS, although got it wrong, won't be willing to change
> > it, should we bend ourselves backward and do it?
>
> I never even noticed they were there in the first place. I always look at
> the list to determine if the direction is the way I want it. Maybe it's
> just me but I think I'm not the only one there ;)
>
> If I really used the arrows I'd prefere the KDE-Way of doing it though. It
> is indeed more logical.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
First, I am not frustrated ;-)

Second, we aim at 2 (sometimes incompatible) targets  (see also current
discussion about copy/paste)
-> Attract Windows user with a desktop similar to W95/2000
-> implement better functionality known from X and KDE etc.

Proposal:
-> The "Windows Style" should behave and look as good as possible as MS
-> The "KDE Style" should implement all the goodies we all like so much.

to achieve this ( - unfortunately - ) the kcontrol has to be tweaked in more
than ONE place.  (which gives a lot of flexibility for the experienced user)
-> Style
-> Window Decoration
-> and propably many others

To get around this we need either a
-> setup guide (written - but nobody will read this) or a
-> setup wizard , where all the necesary values are set at once.
Didn't we have had a wizard running at the first time a user starts KDE?
There it should go. Can it be put into the K-Menu?

Third, the arrows:
I followed the guideline that the arrows should point to the highest value
for the sort icons of kspread. Have a look at the tooltips and at the "data
menu". It's a feeling, but I would like the arrows the other way round.
Why?
-> in a line we consider the starting point to be at the bottom of the line
-> in a table we consider the starting point to be the top cell/line.

--
cu
ferdinand