List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fade out applet handles
From:       deltasoftware () t-online ! de (Thomas Strauss)
Date:       2001-05-13 17:53:50

On Wednesday 09 May 2001 15:03, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 08:53:42AM +0200, Joerg Menke wrote:
> > > So perhaps it's time again to talk about the
> > > beginner/intermediate/advanced (or perhaps only beginner/advanced)
> > > switch for kcontrol? I think this is the best way around too many
> > > options for the 'beginners' and too few for the 'advanced'.
> >
> > Or that. Might be the best solution IMHO. Having all the "basic" features
> > shown by default and only show the "advanced" stuff on demand. Something
> > like "Personalisation/What kinda user are you" set to beginner at
> > default....
>
> It's not my intention to create a discussion on multiple lists, but since
> this topic is here already:
>
> I had a little discussion about this on kde-core-devel (starting with a
> different issue, actually) and I came up with the idea that perhaps we
> *should* hide advanced features in the config file.. but *only* when we:
>
> <copy>
> - write a Kate based config file editing plugin,
> - make configuration GUIs easier and have a button to "edit manually" for
>   advanced configuration options,

Sorry, I think someone sure had this idea before:

Instead of writing a kate plugin, which lets the user edit machine readable
and machine created files (which he or she will screw up for sure!), why not
create a configuration class, which can handle 90% of the options-cases a
program normally uses. The programmer throws a XML-file describing the
options at the config-class, which binds the options to option-file-entries
and standard config-elements (like Boolean toggle, text entry, color-select,
file dialog etc) or some yet to be defined (KPart?) thing which handles some
special option.

The config class could support multiple user-experience-levels, defined by
xml-attributes, but could still avoid easy disruption of config files.

> Rob

Regards
    Thomas

--
Thomas Strauß    | "He breathed in the chill kelp-and-salt scent of the beach;
LeipzigerStr 61  |  the intense familiarity of the scent triggered a million