List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QuickPrint implementation (RFC)
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-05-13 1:42:11

On Saturday 31 March 2001 11:15, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > > Personally, I don't like those "quickprint" buttons neither, exactly
> > > for the same reasons as you, but somebody requested it. And if a lot of
> > > people wants it, then I think it should be implemented. I don't think
> > > it's too much work, but of course, applications have to use it,
> > > otherwise it's useless.
> >
> > Yes but those who don't like it, although not being forced to use it (of
> > course), will have it in the toolbar, and will hit it by mistake.
> >
> > IMHO this is stupid copying of Microsoft's errors. A "Print" toolbar
> > button is very useful, with a dialog that sets itself up from the last
> > time, so it only takes one OK click to confirm it.
> > But an unconfirmed waste of paper due to quick clicking is always bad.
>
> So, before doing anything, let's wait a little bit for other people's
> comment (I hope there will be some).

Since you've asked for comments... I dislike the quick print feature in
Windows as well. I use remote printers quite a lot, and one thing that's
worse than wasting paper in the first place is inadvertently sending your
stuff off to someone else without realizing it. I tend to agree with David
that a properly configured Print dialog is no more inconvenient than a
confirm dialog.

--
We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld