List:       kde-devel
Subject:    How do I get the cvs KDE to run?
From:       Christopher Willmot <chris () willmot ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-12 9:51:20

Having downloaded and successfully compiled cvs versions of kdesupport,
kdelibs and kdebase to /opt/kdex I now find I cannot try it out.

$>  startx /opt/kdex/bin/startkde

just calls up the old version, but without a lot of the settings (e.g. no
Alt-F2, no background.
It is clear that I should be doing something else but I have no idea what.

My base system is SuSE 7.1 which gives me KDE1 in /opt/kde
and KDE2.0.1 in /opt/kde2.  The 2.0.1 still works (except there are
complaints from DCOP if I do anything out of the ordinary).

So far, I have:
  added kdex to wmlist
  copied ~/.kde2 to make ~/.kdex
  changed the new startkde so kdehome=$HOME/.kdex
  created symlink '/usr/X11/bin/kdex' to '/opt/kdex/bin/startkde'

What else do I need to do?

--
Chris Willmot                    Paintings:  chris.willmot@valleyview.co.uk
County DURHAM, England.          Software Development: chris@willmot.org.uk