List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: matlab
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-05-11 19:40:03

"Erik K. Pedersen" wrote:

> I know I should send a bugreport somewhere, but I don't know whereto,
> because I don't understand the problem.
>
> 1. matlab works if invoked under gnome or twm.
> 2. matlab dies if invoked under kde, either from the menu or from a
> konsole
> or from an xterm.
> 3. matlab works if invoked by a telnet or ssh or rsh session, even when
> that session is running in a konsole under KDE.
>
> I am quoting my system administrator. This is under redhat 7.0 or 7.1 and
> with kde2.1.1

Hi,

Usu. if you have problems with non-KDE apps from the menus it's b/c they
use non-standard libraries (like compat libraries) and KDE sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  To get around this, write a little script like this:

#!/bin/bash
unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
unset LD_PRELOAD
unset LD_BIND_NOW
exec $@

and call it say "kdewrapper.sh".  Then in your .desktop files put
"kdewrapper.sh" as the first element in the Exec line.  For example,
change

Exec:matplot %u

Exec:kdewrapper.sh matplot %u

For a quick test, run this at the console:

  # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
  # export LD_PRELOAD=
  # export LD_BIND_NOW=
  # matplot