List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: For those who didn't look at the kde.com poll
From:       Justin <infiniti () affinix ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 9:57:01

Hello Dirk,

> can you tell what is slow when you say "speed things up" ? there are a lot
> of "things", you know..

Although all of KDE could use a general speed boost (and Waldo discussed some
ways on his paper about linking), in my opinion there are only two parts of
KDE that really need to be singled out for speed improvement.  Both are in
Konqueror:

1) File manager load time.  This is the only application that deserves
near-instantaneous loading.  It's competing with the wonderful Konsole+bash,
after all.

2) Konqueror page caching.  Page/directory/thumbnail rendering is of moderate
speed right now, however it can become a problem when a page needs to be
re-rendered over and over.  Konq took about a minute to render a SuSE forum I
was reading.  Not terrible, but when I would click on a message link and then
click "back", I had to wait another full minute for it to re-render the
board.  Perhaps Konq should save each render so that it doesn't need to redo
it when going forward and back to previous viewings?

Btw, off the subject, what ever became of that Allow/Ask/Deny feature for
window.open() ?

-Justin