List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Man pages (kdesdk, koffice)
From:       Ben Burton <bab () debian ! org>
Date:       2001-05-04 8:27:49

(I'm sending this to kde-devel also since it's a general KDE issue, not just
Debian).

> I've just been informed however, that the Debian KDE packages have already
> been creating manual pages.  A cursory search through our CVS finds me a
> handful of these, three in the kdebase module to be precise.

I have a set of man pages written for all the apps in kdesdk and koffice.  In
particular this includes every command-line utility in kdesdk (of which there
are many).  You can find them all in the CVS under kdesdk/debian/*.1 (and
koffice/debian/*.1).

Aspects of the man pages that are debian-specific:  Some of them refer the
reader to author's notes, html docs and the like in debian-specific paths
(eg. /usr/share/doc/kword/html).  The man pages for qtdoc and kdedoc (from
kdesdk) are very debian-specific since I patched the scripts to look for the
corresponding Qt/KDE docs in the debian-installed locations; both of these
man pages also have a DEBIAN USERS section detailing how to get the Qt/KDE
docs.

I can't speak for anyone else's man pages, but feel free to take all of those
from kdesdk and koffice and put them in <module>/doc in whatever format you
like.  My only desire is that they can be converted back into *roff format
since Debian requires a man page for executable.

Btw, I'm also happy to keep maintaining the English versions of these docs if
people would like it (and I'm happy not to if people would prefer that also
:) ).

My only other request is that people let me know if/when the man pages are
converted and placed in <module>/doc so I can pull them from debian/ and
change the packaging details accordingly.

Ben.

--

Ben Burton (benb@acm.org)
http://baasil.humbug.org.au/bab/

Director of Training
Australian Informatics Olympiad Committee

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of
nothing.
	- Oscar Wilde