List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: too much memory for kmail
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-02 18:51:03

Rik Hemsley <rik@kde.org> wrote:

> Yes, I think if you have a large amount of mail then kmail takes a lot
> of memory, due to holding the index for each mailbox in memory. Apologies
> to the kmail people if I got that wrong.

That is accurate for KMail in cvs, but not when "Sam's" patch has been
applied (this patch has been posted to the KMail list a few times by me).

With Sam's patch applied the index is lazy and information is retrieved from
disk on demand. Index records are now just proxy classes that return (shared)
QStrings and ints, without owning any data themselves. (Well they cache the
status field, have a private d pointer and take ownership when the are
written to ie. modifed).

Sam's patch also has many other optimizations, in fact it turns out that
QListView is not the bottle neck I originally thought it was.

BTW I don't subscribe to kde-devel.

BFN,
Don.